Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 1995 12:01:56 -0500 (CDT)
From:      edward@seaysys.com (Edward E. Elzey)
To:        freelist@elf.kendall.mdcc.edu (Don Whiteside)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FBSD v2.0.5: shared libraries - HOW TO...?

Received from Don Whiteside:

> On Wed, 13 Sep 1995 mikebo@tellabs.com wrote:
>
> > Is there any documentation of the Shared Library system employed by
> > FreeBSD? For instance... I want to be able to replace a routine in
> > the standard libc, but there doesn't appear to be any instructions on
> > "how to" rebuild the shared libraries - as there is in SunOS
> > /usr/lib/shlib.etc/README. There ought to be a simpler way to do this
> > than "make"ing the entire libc from source. I only want to replace
> > one module!
>
> I believe what you want is 'man ar'

Actually, no.  That won't help.

Shared object libraries are not created with  'ar',  rather  with
'ld'.   The closest that I can think of to documentation would be
to read 'man ld' and  look  for a  description  of '-Bshareable'.
It  is   possible   that   this   documentation   is   not   100%
accurate   due   to   FreeBSD   specific  differences  in  object
structures.  I really cannot speak authoritatively on this.

--
Edward E. Elzey          Technical Support Analyst          Seay Systems, Inc.

Millions of dollars of Department of Defense funds went into developing 4.4BSD.
Get your tax dollars worth, use FreeBSD!