Date:      Tue, 17 Dec 2002 09:52:48 +0100
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Soeren Schmidt <sos@spider.deepcore.dk>
Cc:        Sean Hamilton <sh@bel.bc.ca>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: burncd raw mode

--WhfpMioaduB5tiZL

On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 09:39:06AM +0100, Soeren Schmidt wrote:
> It seems Sean Hamilton wrote:
> > I have a 2352-byte block mode1 CD image, and wish to burn this with bur=
ncd.
> > I know I can use bin2iso or bchunk to decode it, but I'd rather keep the
> > block metadata intact from the file itself instead of having the
> > burner/driver(?) reconstruct it.
> >=20
> > I assembled a small stack of coasters by trying a few combinations of -=
d,
> > 'raw', etc, to no avail. The best I got was from raw, a track which nee=
ded
> > to be read with 2352 byte blocks, so it wasn't being interpreted as
> > metadata. I presume if I were to dd this entire disc into a file, I wou=
ld
> > have a verbatim copy of my original, albeit less fault tolerant.
> >=20
> > Can this be done with burncd?
>=20
> Not as is, but it could be done, however there is absolutly no point
> in doing it, *unless* its to make an exact copy of a CD that is
> copyprotected in one of the usual ways.

OK, but what if it is? Tools, not policy?

I got interested in this the other day also, seeing as there were windows
tools to extract the 'subchannel data' (that's the same, isn't it?) and
I couldn't find any tool to do the same on FreeBSD.

I can understand if you don't want to spend any of your limited time
on this, but the fact that it may be used in illegal ways should make
no difference in the implementation of this feature...

> So, assuming you have a legit image, you simply rip out the 2048 bytes
> of real data from each 2352 byte block in that file, and burn it as
> a normal data CD, bingo..
>=20
> > How does the drive/driver know to interpret the remaining 304 bytes as
> > metadata?
>=20
> Thats a long explanation, its checksumming etc etc.

Actually, is it the driver that constructs this metadata, or mkisofs, or ..=
. ?

> > Is it possible to extract the full 2352 byte blocks from a track which =
is
> > advertised as only 2048, ie a typical data track? There are a few Windo=
ws
> > apps for doing exactly this.
>=20
> Sure it is, but why would you need to ?

For making a backup of my PSX CDs to play with an emulator? (perfectly legal
for me to do). Windows apps can do this.

--Stijn

--=20
The sexual urge of the camel is stranger than anyone thinks.
He's lived for years on the desert, and tried to seduce the Sphinx.
But the Sphinxs center of pleasure lies buried deep in the Nile,
which accounts for the hump on the camel and the Sphinxs inscrutable smile.
		-- Frantic Fran, http://www.franticfran.com/jokes.htm

--WhfpMioaduB5tiZL

--WhfpMioaduB5tiZL--