Date:      Tue, 9 Jun 1998 23:33:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Rajeev Koodli <rajeev.koodli@ntc.nokia.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic: cannot mount root

On Fri, 5 Jun 1998, Rajeev Koodli wrote:

> changing root device to wd1a
> panic: cannot mount root
>
> and then the automatic reboot and the cycle continues.
>
> I installed the boot manager after reading the Help in the Install
> package, which says that a "redirecting" boot manager should reside on
> disk1 also for the boot to proceed on disk2. So, I followed those
> instructions (you chose wd0 in drive selection, but Quit immediately,
> and chose boot manager on wd2, and proceed with the rest of the
> installation). Finally, when I come back to the main menu, I chose Exit,
> and it asked for confirmation with a message saying "remove floppy
> disks". But, the mounting part is apparantly not ok..

You have a disk arrangement that the boot system doesn't like. If
possible, move the drive to the slave position on the primary controller.
If you have a CDROM there, then try following these instructions.

 If you get the message:
panic: Cannot mount root

At the end of the probe sequence you should either:
1. Have the line:
config kernel root on wd2

in your kernel config,
OR:

2. Rename the second disk to wd1 in the kernel config (comment out the
original wd1 line and change the wd2 line to read wd1, leaving all other
parameters unchanged).

NOTICE:  Make sure your mailer replies to dwhite@resnet or I won't get it!