Date:      Wed, 12 Sep 2007 10:48:22 -0300
From:      Agus <agus.262@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Which versioning system is the simplest to use??

> 2007/9/12, Tom Huppi <tomh@huppi.com >:

> > This is just my experiance on this stuff.  There are no right or
> > wrong ways to do it, and happily, all kinds of altrnatives.
> >
> > > If you only have a file or two, I'd suggest RCS.  "man rcs" should get
> > you going.
> > > An earlier version of this book helped me understand RCS well enough
> > to write
> > > custom scripts that used RCS on sets of files:
> > >
> > >     http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/rcs/index.html
> >
> > I've use RCS pretty religiously for system administration...but
> > in fact rarely do I actually refer back to older revisions in
> > practice.  I've always just refered to this document:
> >
> > http://www.samag.com/documents/s=9367/sam9812a/9812a.htm
> >
> > which has been enough to get me by.  The biggest hassle is the
> > $LOGNAME deal which can different depending on how one gets a root
> > shell.
> >

> > > Then I heard about CVS, which uses RCS format archive files (so you
> > can use
> > > either tool) and provides the set functionality I needed plus
> > more.  "info cvs"
> > > is the online resource, but I did better with an earlier version of
> > the book:
> > >
> > >     http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/cvsbook.html
> > >

> > > I now use CVS to maintain version control of the configuration files
> > on my
> > > various systems.  I build a CVS tree which is a sparse mirror of the
> > root file
> > > system.  Whenever I want to change a configuration file in the "live"
> > tree, I
> > > copy the intervening directories and/or file into the CVS tree, check
> > everything
> > > in, make my changes, copy the changed filed back to the original
> > location, test,
> > > and repeat the edit/ copy/ test sequence as necessary.  When all is
> > well, I check
> > > in the file to CVS.  As a variation on a theme, I sometimes move the
> > "live" file
> > > and replace it with a symbolic link into the CVS tree.  But this
> > approach can be
> > > messier when you make a mistake and destabilize the
> > system.  YMMV.  Using CVS in
> > > this way provides for the use cases you've identified, and it also
> > allows me to
> > > check out the trees from other machines to compare/ contrast.  Best
> > yet is when I
> > > rebuild a machine -- restoring configuration is a matter of installing
> > CVS, check
> > > out the system configuration file tree, and copying/linking.
> >
> > I tend to use revision control for (software) systems I
> > create or maintain installations of, but find it worthwhile
> > to create a Makefile to actually install the files (and often
> > the system itself.)  I find this more flexible in that I can
> > create different targets to do different things, structure my
> > repository differently than the destination, ensure proper
> [...]

Wow...Thanks a lot guys for your very nice responses....I will investigate a
litlle all the choices u gave me....but i think i will go for cvs, as i dont
need anything "fancy"...just to keep it simple.....

Very much appreciated....
Thanks and we 'll probably see again on another topic....haha....
C ya...
Agustin