Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2000 19:26:07 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Dan Moschuk <dan@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (2nd iteration) New /dev/(random|null|zero) - review, please

> Not to worry.  The i82802 isn't meant to replace our current random number
> generator, but rather as a source of entropy for The Bigger Picture (Yarrow).

Cool! May I have a look at what you have?

> We will still harvest entropy from various interrupts and other system
> sources.

Great!

> Which brings up another interesting point.  Mark, I believe there are still
> some architectual issues with the Yarrow design.  Can you comment on this
> status?

The internals are pretty much there, the basic reseed/hash/encrypt stuff
is written.

I still need to write the harvesters and the entropy estimation stuff.

What is there works in the sense that it generates random-looking junk,
but is no good because there is no entropy addition, and it is thus
entirely predictable.

DFR is looking at it, and I'd like to commit it as-is, then work on the
entropy collection stuff.

If you'd like to see it (mixed in with the zooty new /dev/null driver)
take a look at http://freefall.freebsd.org/~markm/sys.*.gz.

Mark Murray