Date:      Mon, 6 Nov 2000 12:12:14 +0100 (CET)
From:      Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Like to commit my diskprep

>    If you have a machine with a gig of ram, losing 4MB is REALLY not a big
>    deal.

Er. Allow me to point out that you need to allow the database software to
wire that ram for it to even be of any value, because what I'm concerned
with here is the latency. Bandwidth can always be increased; getting down
the latency and the interruptions in continous (non-random) access is a
concern of mine, and indirection does not help this.

Besides, managing extants is actually easier, unless you want to use a
B+-tree approach, like HPFS does.

Marius