Date:      Sat, 10 Jan 1998 17:51:27 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Book Request

Greg Lehey writes:
> Don't count on it.  "Porting UNIX Software" sold about 2000 copies on
> initial release.  That's about what "The Complete FreeBSD" sells in 6
> weeks.  In fact, CFBSD has been a much better seller than PUS, despite
> the relative strengths of the marketing organizations.  I've told that
> to O'Reilly, but either they don't believe me, or they don't care.

Well, I've got one of those 2000.

Pasted from another message in the same thread:
>> I did my part, bought the whole set of 4.4BSD books. I have about 6'
>> of ORA books.
>
> Don't tell them that.  If they think that everybody who would be
> interested in CFBSD had already bought the 4.4BSD books, that would
> definitely turn them off.

Bought the 4.4BSD partly because it was cheaper than printing all the
info in /usr/share/doc/{psd,usd,smm} and its often easier to handle a
real book than computer monitor or printouts.

I aquired 6' of ORA books because I have (and/or "have had", time to
think about that some more) a high opinion of ORA books and would often
buy another by ORA rather than some other publisher simply because I
don't think I've ever been burned with a useless book from ORA.

The logic escapes me that ORA will stay out of *BSD books and discount
my request simply because I already own a lot of ORA books. I'm a
sucker, I'll buy more *BSD books, just like other lemmings who buy
anything that says Linux in the title.

Suggested title for a new FreeBSD book: "FreeBSD Is Not Linux", this
way you get the (seemingly) mandatory Linux word in the title, and you
get published.  ;-)