Date:      Fri, 21 May 1999 02:18:00 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
Cc:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SGI, XFS and OSS?

On Thu, May 20, 1999 at 08:08:14PM -0400, Jamie Bowden wrote:
> On Thu, 20 May 1999, Eivind Eklund wrote:
>
> :> This is great news. My slowest SGI systems have faster metadata updates
> :> than my fastest FreeBSD systems, same disk hardware.
> :
> :Running soft updates?
>
> XFS is -FAST-

How do you measure the speed of XFS vs FFS?  I cannot think of any
really decent benchmark without having implementations of both in the
same OS, and being certain that they are optimized the same way.

Don't the O2s have NVRAM for logging the metadata changes?  That'd
make a tremendous difference right away...

Eivind.