Date:      Wed, 7 Jun 2000 03:08:03 -0500
From:      "James A. Mutter" <jmutter@colltech.com>
To:        Kerwin <KerwinL@netzero.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Commands & Permission Denied.

On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 02:58:21AM -0500, Kerwin wrote:
> Please help me out in here.... im new in FreeBSD and i'm getting a lil' frustrated.
>
> Howcome I always get a 'Permission Denied' everytime I put down a command???  Even if i want to it shutdown like 'shutdown -now'
> it always comes out this "Permission Denied"?????

Depends on the command you're trying to run.  Some commands are only available to the user "root" (the superuser), if you're not him you're not going to have any luck with these few commands.  If you want to run "shutdown" as a normal (nonprivelaged user) you'll need to add yourself to the group "operator".

> Also, Howcome i always get this '$' rather than '#' on my begining statement????

This tells me that you're logging in as a normal user.  The "#" is the default prompt for the user "root", the "$" is the default prompt for everyone else.

> does it makes any difference if it's '$' or this '#'???? If so, how can change "$" to "#"????

Absolutely - see above.

Sounds like you're new the UNIX world.  Try picking up a copy of "The Complete FreeBSD Handbook" - it'll be a big help.

--
Jim