Date:      Sat, 11 Oct 2008 12:26:29 -0400
From:      Adam McDougall <mcdouga9@egr.msu.edu>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: am2 MBs - 4g + SCSI wipes out root partition

Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 04:45:29PM +0200, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
>> On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 03:13:16 -0700
>> Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

>>> What you're saying is that Adaptec and LSI Logic SCSI controllers behave
>>> badly (and can cause data loss) on amd64 systems which contain more than
>>> 3.5GB of RAM.  This is a very big claim.
>>>
>>> Have you talked to Scott Long about this?
>>>
>>> Please expand on this, and provide evidence or references.  I need to
>>> document this in my Wiki if it is indeed true.
>>>
>> See the freebsd-scsi thread with Subject "data corruption with ahc driver
>> and 4GB of memory using a FBSD-8 64-bit installation?" from Wed, 30 Jan
>> 2008.
>>
>> This was for ahc, but the bit-rot which Scott mentions in his reply might
>> also apply to the LSI Logic controllers.
>>
>> Basically the driver doesn't correctly handle DMA above 4GB.  Since the PCI
>> hole gets mapped above 4GB it causes problems.  the (S)ATA drivers don't seem
>> to have this problem.
>
> Thank you -- this is the exact information I was looking for.
>
> I will update my Wiki page to reflect this quite major problem.

I am using some LSI (mpt driver) ultra4 (U320 scsi) and LSI SAS
controllers in FreeBSD 7.x amd64 with 20G of ram, and Adaptec (aac
driver) with a 5th generation RAID card with 8G of ram, both have no
such corruption problems.  Providing this as a counter-example just to
document some evidence of which products seem to work fine.