Date:      Tue, 01 Sep 2009 13:14:44 +0300
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>
To:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: acpi_wmi dependency on acpi_ec

on 31/08/2009 21:57 Nate Lawson said the following:
> Andriy Gapon wrote:
>> Does acpi_wmi have to depend on acpi_ec so strongly as it does now?
>>
>> The reason I am asking is that I have a desktop system that seems to
>> provide "something WMI", but doesn't have an EC:
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~avg/ga-ma780g-ud3h/acpi.asl
>
> WMI is two things:
> 1. proprietary API to some data already available in ACPI
> 2. standard for organizing system information not yet listed in the ACPI
> spec

Nate,

thank you - I am getting some knowledge on WMI (WMI+ACPI specifically), but it is
quite a big subject.

>> I am not sure how to proceed next and if I can actually get anything
>> useful with WMI on this system.
>> For now I extracted binary MOF file stored in WQBA and used wmimofck
>> utility (from Windows Driver Kit) on it. The following is the resulting
>> header file:
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~avg/ga-ma780g-ud3h/wq.h
>> Any advice on what I could try next?
>
> What you can do with it is totally dependent on the system. Sometimes it
> offers a lot of info, sometimes not. With laptops, I think most
> manufacturers ignored WMI and ACPI and wrote their own hotkey drivers.

In this case I determined that ASL provides WMI interface for AMD OverDrive.
In ASL I see code that accesses clock generator via i2c and similar.
I think that with enough time and motivation I could figure out how to use that
interface (from looking at the header file and ASL code for WMI methods).
But right now I am lacking both.

--
Andriy Gapon