Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2001 16:45:17 -0700
From:      "Eric Parusel" <lists@globalrelay.net>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   loadavg value was wrong

If I'm posting this on the wrong list, tell me :)

Twice today I've had this problem, and it's "weirding" me out...

On two servers, both with a load average of normally 0.01, all of a
sudden got load averages of 1.1...!    I did a ps, top, and there were
no processes that could account the high loadavg...

I mounted a read-only floppy with "ps" and other tools on it, (you
never know) and still didn't find anything that was using up any more
than 5% cpu...

The load average stayed up consistently only until I (I didn't try
other load-generating things) uploaded a 20 meg file through SFTP.
(this worked on both servers)

Once I did that on both servers, the load average promptly dropped
back down to 0.01...!

Any explanations?  If it happens again, is there something I should
check/do?
On these two servers I'm running FreeBSD 4.3-RC0 (Apr. 11th), and
FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE (May 8th)...

Eric Parusel