Date:      Sat, 8 Jun 1996 10:24:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
Cc:        mpcd@freebsd.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Snazzier FreeBSD home page

On Fri, 7 Jun 1996, Sean Kelly wrote:

> Regarding: http://www.freebsd.org/~mpcd/

The subtle makeover of the second level pages is great.  What I
would add (if I had graphical talent) would be a a new footer
containing Home and Index links that are graphically compatible
with the new header.  I'd also like to duplicate the top level
categories from the home page for quick access, but I think there
may be too many to easily fit.

However, I think the new homepage is a visual disaster.

First off, its much too wide.  Pages should be somewhat tolerant
of the *user's* preferred browser window size, the new design is
not.

Second its visual mishmash of text and graphics.  On the left you
have a graphical menu, which contains the "main" entry points, on
the right you have a graphical "masthead" with a textual menu of
"supplemental" links.  My immediate impression is that the
graphics on the left is sort of the "quick access" bar, while the
text under the big FreeBSD.org graphic is the main menu which is
exactly opposite of reality. If that weren't enough, some of the
links are redundant, but with different names.  (Developer
Resources and Support Info.)

Then, because the right hand side is smooshed horizontally, the
copyright statement gets mangled.  All the footer info should
span the full width, or be re-designed.  The graphical menu on
the left?  I'm not too enthused by the design, particularly the
treatment of three word links.

The "Masthead" looks good in general, but the "What's New" and
"Quick Index"  buttons are not visually compatible with the other
graphical links on the left of the page.  I think the space just
under "FreeBSD.org" would be better used with the "Turning PCs
into Worstations" or some such.  If nothing else, the buttons at
least need some hint of a top edge.

The daemons need a little touch up.  The daemon on the existing
pages turns blue and washed out if you adjust the gamma.  I spent
some time with GIMP and got a much better image, but it still
needs some tweaks before it could be used.

The Javascript stuff is blatant netscapism and the button is
visually incompatible with everythig else on the page.

Do we have to hawe *two* VIP graphis in the footer?

> sure it's always up to date.  The update counter also shouldn't need
> to say from when you're counting.  I agree that including that kind of

I STRONGLY DISAGREE.  A page counter is utterly and completely
meaningless without a reference to the time span.  Just because
everyone else puts stupid and meaningless junk on their pages is
no reason for us to.  If the date goes, the whole counter goes.
I'm not terribly attached to it personally, since the logfiles
provide a much better picture anyway.

> (Actually, I don't like those popular page access counters since they
> usually don't give me any useful information---they're a lot more

And why is that?  Because they don't give you a DATE!

8-)

-john

== http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ================