Date:      Wed, 4 Jul 2007 13:00:08 -0600
From:      Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: "late filesystems" and switching net configs

On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 09:50:18AM +0100, Tom Evans wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 07:59 +0200, Peter Boosten wrote:
> > Chad Perrin wrote:
> > > I have a couple of niggling little, er, "quirks" that I'd like to get
> > > sorted out on my FreeBSD Thinkpad.
> > >
> > >   2. For some reason, if I use DHCP at all then want to switch back to my
> > >   static IP setup, I have to restart the computer to get it to access the
> > >   Internet.  I haven't been able to figure out why.  If I recall
> > >   correctly, I can switch to static IP on bge0 and access other systems
> > >   on the network, but I can't do anything related to the Internet.  Yes,
> > >   by the way, I am checking to make sure the contents of resolv.conf are
> > >   correct.
> > >

> > Check your default gateway when switching from DHCP to static. IIRC a
> > /etc/rc.d/netif stop/start will recreate the default route.
>
> Not as I recall though. You will need to do a /etc/rc.d/routing restart
> if your default router changes. The only time you might not need it is
> when your routes are setup via DHCP.

That sounds like it's probably what I need.  Thank you!

To clarify: I have several commonly-used network configs in my
/etc/rc.config file, and often change which one I have commented out
there, then restart with:

  # /etc/rc.d/netif restart

With the revelation that /etc/rc.d/routing needs a restart, I think that
probably solves the problem.