Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 2006 07:38:34 -0500
From:      "Scot Hetzel" <swhetzel@gmail.com>
To:        "David Gilbert" <dgilbert@dclg.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Frustrating inability to boot amd64

On 4/5/06, David Gilbert <dgilbert@dclg.ca> wrote:
> At this point, I've been through 4 AMD64 motherboards.  Commonly,
> AE_BAD_CHARACTER stops ACPI (or apic?) from figuring out the system
> --- this has happened on 3 out of four boards.  On this latest board,
> it can turn off APIC.  If I do that, FreeBSD hangs after detecting the
> disks.  The only "wrong" thing on the screen is
>
> module_register_init: MOD_LOAD (amr_linux, 0xffffffff805ebcc0, 0)
> error 6
>
> I have tested boot CDs for amd64 from 6.0-RELEASE, 6.1-BETA1 and
> 6.1-BETA4.  None have successfully booted on these boards.

I had a strange problem booting amd64 on my HP Pavilion dv8xxx laptop
with the 6.1 BETA4 CDs.  If I didn't touch the keyboard, the boot
process would crash when loading the kernel (my best guess).  As the
last thing I saw was the boot loader reading /boot/loader.conf (screen
was unreadable after the crash).  I tried to break into the boot
loader, but instead of getting the boot loader prompt, the boot loader
loaded the kernel and I was able to install FreeBSD/amd64.

After it was installed, I haven't had any futher problems booting FreeBSD/a=
md64.

> Strangely enough, i386 boots fine, APIC and all.

I'm not sue if this will work:

1. install FreeBSD/i386
2. Copy the FreeBSD/amd64 kernel to /boot/kernel_amd64
3. reboot the system
4. break into the boot loader, and tell it to 'boot /boot/kernel_amd64'

lf this boots the amd64 kernel, then it looks like the boot loader on
the FreeBSD/amd64 CD's are bad.

Scot
--
DISCLAIMER:
No electrons were mamed while sending this message. Only slightly bruised.