Date:      Wed, 31 Mar 1999 07:51:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      Spidey <spidey@libdns.qc.ca>
To:        Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mysterious reboots...

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999, Ben Smithurst wrote:

> Spidey wrote:
>
> > Sometimes the machine simply reboots. X does not shut down, filesystems do
> > not dismount correctly, _but_ there is an entry in wtmp:
> >
> > spidey@freed [01:39pm] spidey$ last reboot
> > reboot           ~                         Tue Mar 30 12:40
> > [...]
> >
> > I did _not_ call this reboot with any command that I know of.
>
> I may be wrong, but looking at the source and the timestamps of those
> "reboot" entries in wtmp, they seem to be inserted as the box is coming
> back up, after the reboot. "shutdown" will mark a clean shutdown, I
> beleive, "reboot", as it says, indicates the machine is booting up
> again.

Yes, that's right!!! I did only 'last reboot', when I do 'last':

spidey@freed [07:48am] spidey$ last
reboot           ~                         Tue Mar 30 12:40
spidey           ttyv0                     Tue Mar 30 11:05 - 11:06
(00:01)
spidey           ttyv0                     Tue Mar 30 02:50 - 02:51
(00:00)
reboot           ~                         Tue Mar 30 02:50
shutdown         ~                         Tue Mar 30 02:49
root             ttyv0                     Tue Mar 30 02:49 - shutdown
(00:00)
reboot           ~                         Mon Mar 29 11:26
shutdown         ~                         Mon Mar 29 11:25
spidey           ttyv1                     Mon Mar 29 11:22 - 11:23
(00:01)
root             ttyv0                     Mon Mar 29 10:40 - shutdown
(00:45)
spidey           ttyv0                     Sun Mar 28 17:00 - 10:40
(17:40)
reboot           ~                         Sun Mar 28 16:50
reboot           ~                         Sun Mar 28 15:44
spidey           ttyv0                     Sun Mar 28 02:03 - 02:03
(00:00)

We see that there are 'reboots' without 'shutdowns'.... So the possibility
of a physical problem with the power cords is still here.

I have installed a new kernel without the pseudo device, and did not have
the phenomenon yet. I'll post back to the list if there is such
eventuality.

Thanks for the tip!

When a man lies he murders some part of the world
These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives
All this I can witness any longer
Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home