Date:      Mon, 23 Apr 2001 22:07:00 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "John Bolster" <j.bol@gte.net>, "Freebsd-Questions@Freebsd. Org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: ftp file corruption

That sounds to me very much like data error in your computer.
Here's some possible reasons:

1) bad cache ram so when data is passed through the CPU from
core to peripherals it gets trashed

2) bad main ram so when data is passed through the CPU from
core to peripherals it gets trashed.  BIOS settings in mboard
that run the ram too fast or with wrong RAS/CAS speeds

3) bus set to wrong multiplier and it's running too fast (isa
bus should not be run past 8Mhz)

4) CPU set to wrong multiplier  (check jumpers)

4a) CPU overclocked

4b) CPU running too hot

5) CPU set to too low or high a voltage

6) hardware conflict between 2 peripheral cards that causes
data transfers on the bus to fail or be trashed

7) failing IDE disk drive electronics that trash data that
is coming off or going into the disk

8) failing electronics in network adapter.

9) network card cannot do full-duplex and hub thinks it can

Some computers (like Compaq) have very good system diagnostics
disks that you can run for hours on the system to see if
there's problems.  Something's badly wrong here.  Can you
pull the disk out temporairly and put it into another system
and see if the problems in the new system go away?