Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 15:27:16 -0400
From:      "Kenneth Mays" <kmays2000@hotmail.com>
To:        sucho2@quasar.phys.vt.edu, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: If you think people use FreeBSD for server, you must've been outta school for long long time!

A sidenote:
1. Your tools are actually free on the Windows platform. Most of the
developers do ports and you can run most Unix tools on Windows platforms.

2. FreeBSD was originally designed to be a SERVER NOS. You can use it
for desktops/laptops but that was not its purpose of design (as a "desktop"
operating system in relation to Windows 95/98/Me/NT/Pro). You will notice
that Windows NT Server was designed for that but not the Win 9x line. I use
FreeBSd as a dul server and desktop machine very nicely.

3. Reliability, stability, performance - I give FreeBSD as much reliability
as a Solaris desktop/server in both areas of concept (desktop vs. server).
Unix is not perfect and does crash if you are trying to use it as a desktop
more than as server. I've had a Netscape session lock up my Solaris desktop
pretty bad. I've seen Solaris servers stop working for strange reasons and
disconnect from the network. I PAY for Solaris (grrr!) but FreeBSD is
totally FREE and I get just as good as the support off this newsgroup than I
do off of my PAID solaris support contract!!!!

FreeBSD is actually a very nice FREE version of Unix which can be used as a
professional business server like Solaris. I run FreeBSD for my home NOC and
Solaris at work. You can have several thousand connections in which I would
have to pay $1K-$10K for licenses and connections. No thanks. Thanks to
FreeBSD, I almost have a penniless NOC.

Ken