Date:      12 Aug 2002 17:55:56 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Andrew Houghton <aah@acm.org>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new Gnome2 user

On Mon, 2002-08-12 at 17:43, Andrew Houghton wrote:
> Switched from 1.4 to 2.whatever last night, and I'm having a few
> problems.  Thought I'd ask here (is there somewhere more apropos for
> this?  I imagine that as Gnome2 becomes more of an accepted standard
> -questions will be a better mailing list, but in the meantime..):

This is the appropriate list.

>    1. I'm running GDM; it seems *very* slow.  Very very very.  After
>       switching to the GDM screen on bootup or logout, it takes up to 10
>       seconds for the username/password dialog to accept input.  After
>       giving a valid username/password, it takes up to 15 seconds to
>       show the little 'Gnome' splash screen as it loads my desktop.  I
>       probably have something left over from 1.4; I did a cursory job of
>       uninstalling my old ports (for instance, I didn't clean out old
>       gdm.conf files), but I don't know where to look to see if this is
>       the case.

I'm not seeing this problem anymore with gdm-2.4.0.7.  I also have a
cleaned up gdm.conf, though.  Make sure you reboot after the upgrade to
ensure that all the old gdm stuff has died.

>    2. For some reason all my windows are set to opaque drag.  As far as
>       I can tell this is a Gnome setting (I switched to metacity from
>       sawfish, and back, with the same effect), but I can't find a
>       toggle anywhere for this.  I'd like to have windows be
>       outline-drag and outline-move, but I really can't find a switch
>       anywhere.

I've never configured sawfish or metacity to do outline window drags.
However, you may find this by poking around gconf-config for metacity.

>    3. Is there any way to set anti-aliasing globally?  i.e., not in my
>       ~/.gnomerc file, but in some global gnomerc file.

With gdm, you have the /usr/X11R6/etc/gdm/gnomerc file.  You can also
set it in the global /etc/csh* and profile if you'd like.

Joe