Date:      Wed, 18 Jun 2008 11:56:09 -0700
From:      prad <prad@towardsfreedom.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: internet slowdown

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 09:16:09 -0400
Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com> wrote:

> Prad, once you _are_ logged in, is the server responsive?  Or does the
> sluggishness persist?

there is no problem once we are in - the cpu is idle 95% and you can
move around and do stuff without any slowdown at all.

right now, at 11:30am pst we were experiencing very high activity due to
a press release done in toronto on canadian horse slaughter from this
site: http://defendhorsescanada.org

the slowdown is upon us too - but i don't know if it is related or not
because the ping times are varying from 100ms to 1000+ms to the same
site(s). it's all over the place!

what is really weird is that the machine that hosts that site isn't the
only one which has slowed down. the other machine which only serves
email experiences the same thing (slow ssh connection, long ping times).

we are going to bypass the servers by using one of our dynamic ip
addresses and see what it is like then. if that computer experiences a
slowdown, i think it may suggest that the problem is due to network
activity within the cable company. if there is no slowdown, then that
seems to point the problem exclusively to our servers.

--
In friendship,
prad

                                      ... with you on your journey
Towards Freedom
http://www.towardsfreedom.com (website)
Information, Inspiration, Imagination - truly a site for soaring I's