Date:      Sun, 07 Sep 2003 19:41:26 +0000
From:      David Gerard <fun@thingy.apana.org.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   OpenOffice 1.1rc3-Linux on FreeBSD 4.6.2 installation problems

We just downloaded and installed the Linux binary of OOo 1.1rc3
on my wife's FreeBSD 4.8 box with no problems. My 4.6.2 box,
however, doesn't want to play.

I untar the install files into a directory in my home directory, run
./setup and it puts up an unpacking window (box opening and
progress bar), then a text box saying 'The script file is now being
read. Please wait a moment ...' - then an alert box saying
'Important program files were not found. The installation set may
be damaged.'

The thing is, this is the *exact* same tarball which worked on the
4.8 box.

Has anyone else encountered this? Any idea what it means?

I do have linux_base-6 and linux_base-7 installed, as does the
4.8 box.

(We also tried the FreeBSD native tarball, but it insists on trying
to install in /usr/local and doesn't seem to give the option of
installing to a home directory.)

- d.