Date:      Wed, 28 Dec 2005 10:24:38 +1030
From:      Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
To:        danial_thom@yahoo.com
Cc:        rod person <rodperson@adelphia.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD Question's.

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 02:15 am, Danial Thom wrote:
> --- Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
>
> wrote:
> > On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 09:27 am, Danial Thom
> >
> > wrote:
> > > Schwab Streetsmart
> > > Accounting Software (CA)
> > > Quicken
> > > Photoshop
> > > Adobe Acrobat (for creating PDFs)
> > >
> > > Those are the ones I use daily. Surely there
> >
> > are
> >
> > > some half-assed alternatives for some of
> >
> > these,
> >
> > > but if I have to use something inferior to
> >
> > use
> >
> > > FreeBSD then thats a point against it.
> >
> > This is all a question of the applications you
> > need.
> > My game is full custom integrated circuit
> > design and
> > suitable CAD software is available, at a price,
> > on
> > most unix style systems including Solaris,
> > HP-UX,
> > various Linux distributions and FreeBSD. In
> > this
> > field it is the Windows half-assed alternatives
> > that are distinctly inferior.
>
> No, its  a point of applications that one would
> reasonably need to run a business. I can't run a
> business from your CAD workstation. I can't live
> without accounting software.
>
> I would hardly call apps such as Cadence
> "half-assed", even if you prefer something else.
> In fact, Candence runs on Windows, Linux and
> Solaris but NOT FreeBSD, and its by far the most
> used product the market in that genre.

Cadence have a wide range of products some of which=20
run on Windows platforms.  But you will be struggling=20
to do much with Full Custom on XP.

There are some alternatives offered on FreeBSD --=20
admittedly inferior to the top Cadence products but
also at less than 10% of the licensing costs.

I thought the discussion was about desktop software
not business software; but even so if your business=20
is IC design then I would think a good CAD suite was=20
pretty essential.

Malcolm Kay