Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 1997 15:10:36 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, terry@lambert.org
Subject:   Re: Building Solaris->FreeBSD cross binutils

> > I can build GNAT under Solaris as ELF for FreeBSD, so I am
> > just concerned with running it as ELF under FreeBSD for right
> > now.  Once it runs as ELF under FreeBSD, I should be able
> > to rebuild it as a.out, right?
>
> That's the theory.  It depends on what assmebler and linker
> features it requires.
>
> PS: I thought GNAT for a.out was already in ports...

It's version 2.03 (really old, and doesn't support tasking).  GNAT
only guarantees that it will build with the previous (immediately
previous) version of GNAT.  They're at version 3.09 now, and that
would mean rebuilding over 13 versions of GNAT with different
versions of gcc.  We stopped tracking GNAT because they moved to
gcc 2.7.x at or around GNAT 2.05/6.  Not all versions of GNAT are
still available either.

Not having GNAT is one of the big roadblocks in our making heavier
use out of FreeBSD.  I _really_ want to get this built.

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org