Date:      Mon, 31 Dec 2001 22:10:48 +0100
From:      "Alson van der Meulen" <alm@flutnet.org>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: access restriction by MAC

Peter Brezny(peter@skyrunner.net)@2001.12.31 09:02:46 +0000:
> I'm looking for a way to restrict connectivity by mac address.
>
> Any suggestions on this?
>
> Ideally,  a package that integrated usage based billing would be
> superb, but I'd settle just for something that would only allow access
> to specific mac addresses.
I recommend against using MAC addresses for authentication, since it's
quite easy to change them, just like IP addresses (look at the lladdr
option in ifconfig(8)). The only way it might be useful is to force
certain MAC on certain switch ports, but it would still only mean it
comes from that particular switch port. If you can't control the
switches it's connect to, using MAC addresses for firewalling/billing is
near to useles, since it's just as spoofable as an IP address. If you
control all the client hosts, just filter/bill by IP address, and hope
the users don't change the IP address. (even arpwatch is rather useles
against 'intruders', since they could just use a valid MAC/IP pair).

> Is there a way to implement this with ipfw?
ipfw is, as the name implies, IP firewall. MAC addresses are on the
link-level (ethernet), so filtering by MAC does not belong in the IP
firewalling code IMHO, though Linux' netfilter code does deal with MAC
addresses.

It might be possible to do it with some sysctl knob, and using static
ARP entries. IIRC, there was a thread on a freebsd list on this topic
some time ago, don't remember what list and when though. Searching the
archives might help.

just my 0.02 euro,
Alson