Date:      Thu, 8 Jun 2017 16:27:08 -0400
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Creating armv7 MACHINE_ARCH

While the kernel doesn't really need an armv7 support, there will be a
better match to other systems if we create a armv7 MACHINE_ARCH. This will
be in addition to the armv6 MACHINE_ARCH we have today. This will allow us
to create a package set optimized for armv7 as well as armv6. While it is
true the RPI 1 is the only system that needs armv6 binaries, it's quite
popular and the Raspberry Pi folks keep creating new variants with the same
chip. It would also let us get the package stuff spun up and working before
we mess with armv6.

This would also separate the fate of armv6 and armv7 support at a later
time, but the weak consensus I've heard appears to be that the time isn't
yet right to discuss retiring armv6 support...

Warner