Date:      Tue, 8 May 2007 04:38:09 +0800
From:      "Mars G. Miro" <marsgmiro@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, "Oliver Fromme" <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
Subject:   Re: mfs and buildworlds on da SunFire x4600

On 5/8/07, Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de> wrote:
> Mars G. Miro wrote:
>  > Actually, it's not about having to finish building da world in da
>  > smallest amount of time, it's about whether mfs would really speed
>  > things up...
>
> I've made similar tests in the past, and my conclusion is
> that it's not worth it.
>
> Using a memory disk for /usr/obj doesn't make much sense,
> because soft-updates decouples the physical writes pretty

as i've mentioned in my original email, da mfs's were created w/
softupdates turned off

> well from the build process.  On the other hand, using a
> memory disk for /usr/src _might_ help a little, but it
> depends on a lot of things.  Especially if you have a

again, both /usr/src and /usr/obj were mfs, and even async, noatime

> speedy I/O system and plenty of RAM (so all of the files
> can be cached) and /usr/src is mounted with the "noatime"
> option, the difference is very small.

as Kris mentioned, a buildworld isnt prolly da appropriate test for
mfs, as for da chrooted /usr or da buildkernel tests, I havent really
tried them --- will try to do so and report back when i get da time

btw, a buildworld on da x4100s takes just about da same times ~ 18mins...

> By the way, please stop writing "da" instead of "the".  It
> looks childish and makes your mails difficult to read, so
> it might prevent people from helping you.

oops. d0h ;-)

> Best regards
>    Oliver
>
> --
> Oliver Fromme, secnetix GmbH & Co. KG, Marktplatz 29, 85567 Grafing b. M.
> Handelsregister: Registergericht Muenchen, HRA 74606,  Gesch=E4ftsfuehrun=
g:
> secnetix Verwaltungsgesellsch. mbH, Handelsregister: Registergericht M=FC=
n-
> chen, HRB 125758,  Gesch=E4ftsf=FChrer: Maik Bachmann, Olaf Erb, Ralf Geb=
hart

> FreeBSD-Dienstleistungen, -Produkte und mehr:  http://www.secnetix.de/bsd
>
> "The ITU has offered the IETF formal alignment with its
> corresponding technology, Penguins, but that won't fly."
>         -- RFC 2549

cheers
mars