Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 1995 20:23:06 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Jerry.Kendall@vmicls.com
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: netboot - Diskless X server with 2.0.5R

Hi,

> When I run 'netboot.com' on the 386, the machine just goes
> beep, beep, beep,...... until I reset it.

I haven't looked at this program lately, but it used to be broken for NE2000
support.  The problem was that the probe for the wd card prevented the ne probe
from occuring.  The solution is to remove wd and 3com support from the boot
program. (although I would expect you to get a "card not found" error from
this).  Another problem I saw someone have once was their believing that
netboot.com was a standalone (ie, 'bootable') program.  It must be on a DOS
SYS diskette and either manually invoked from the DOS command line or invoked
from your autoexec.bat file.

 Try changing the Makefile from:

NS8390=         -DINCLUDE_WD -DWD_DEFAULT_MEM=0xD0000
NS8390+=        -DINCLUDE_NE -DNE_BASE=0x320
NS8390+=        -DINCLUDE_3COM -D_3COM_BASE=0x300

 to:

NS8390=         -DINCLUDE_NE -DNE_BASE=0x300

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD