Date:      Sat, 12 Oct 2002 01:00:02 +0930
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   SRM on a PC 164LX

Hi all,

I'm trying to help a friend run FreeBSD on a PC 164LX Alpha.  We have
FreeBSD running happily here on a DS10 and he's got Linux running at
home on a BX/UX "Ruffian", so we have some idea of what we're doing :).
The problem with the LX is that it currently has ARC installed and we're
having trouble replacing that with SRM.  One of the interesting things
is that most of the documentation I've found mentions this board should
have come with AlphaBIOS and doesn't really deal with ARC at all.  The
version of ARC on the machine is 4.49-2 if that helps.

Anyway, I've downloaded the SRM 5.8 images from Compaq and tried to get
them installed, but to no avail.  The main things I've tried are:

1. fwupdate.exe on a FAT (DOS) formatted floppy using the "Install new
   firmware" menu item from the supplementary menu of ARC.  The machine
   accesses the floppy for a while and then stops, with the console just
   remaining a blank blue.
2. Same setup (fwupdate.exe on DOS floppy) but setting the fail safe
   jumper.  I get the correct beep sequence and the floppy drive is
   accessed but then nothing, the machine just sits there unresponsive
   with a blank screen.
3. The actual ROM image (lx164srm.rom) on a DOS floppy.  This produces
   an error from the "Install new firmware" menu option.

Now, the documentation for the fail safe booting indicates I should
make the floppy with "makeboot" rather than just put the fwupdate.exe
on the floppy.  However, I don't have access to a machine to do this.
Maybe someone can tell me what that program does different and if I
can reproduce what it does with dd somehow or maybe with the -B flag
of newfs_msdos?

Any clues appreciated :).

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com