Date:      Wed, 17 Jun 1998 14:35:04 +1200
From:      Mark Ibell <marki@ix.net.nz>
To:        Paul <eb30750@iquest.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD installation via FTP

Paul wrote:

> Got stuck installing FreeBSD at the point where I click "okay" to
> install after successfully logging onto my ISP.  The error message is
> "cannot resolve hostname" as in the ftp server I have selected.
>
> In my experience with PPP, there's not much to configure.  I am
> inputting my domain (iquest.net), my name server IP (198.70.36.70).  I
> am entering 0.0.0.0 for the IP PPP0  and 255.255.255.0 for the subnet
> mask.
>
> The host name is being filled out at .iquest.net

The host name asked for is one for your machine and is, (unless you have
a static ip address and registered domain name) as far as I know totally
useless and is just an inconsequential name for your system. Having said
that, I wouldn't have expected the installation to fail because of it.
Just in case, try entering something before the '.iquest.net' so you
actually have a host name and not just a domain name.

> I go into term and dial out, make connection and get ppp ON>Packet Mode
> and then switch back for the install only to get the error.

You actually need to get PPP ON>Packet Mode (PPP being in uppercase).
Maybe you are not being authenticated properly. If authenticating with
Pap/Chap don't forget to set authname/authkey before dialing.

Hope this helps some,

  Mark