Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 2006 11:39:00 -0000 (GMT)
From:      "DSA - JCR" <juancr@dsa.es>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   EM64T chipset and FreeBSD instalation

Hi all

I am going to install several NFS server in FreebSD for several customers
and the computer has the following characteristics:

- MSI 945PNeo Platinum Main Board, chipset 915P, ICH7R, VIAŽ 6410, 82573
PCI-E Gb LAN, PCI Express 16x VGA, VIAŽ 6307 (IEEE1394)
- Intel EM64T P4 CPU 3,2Ghz, 800Mhz FSB, 2Mb L2
- SDRAM 1Gb DDR2
- HD IDE 80 GB Seagate
- 2x HD SATA 200Gb Seagate in RAID 1 controlled by the chipset of the
mainboard.

I want to install in this system a NFS, Samba, and TCP, in order to make
possible to use the data on the RAID 1 like a file repository for the
customer ms windows network, and also get some data files from there homes
with FTP (I will install pfsense in another small pc).

I think that I must install the "amd64" flavour of FreeBSD, because it is
recommended for the EM64T Intel chip. But I don't know if this flacour is
well tested and if instead of it, i must install the "i386" flavour of
FreeBSD.

I have seen also that "amd64" seems doesn't have all the devices drivers
that "i386" have, so I don't know what to do really.

Also I observ that when I run the install CD 1, it recognize the following
disks:

- ad0 => the main HD (IDE)
- ad12 => one of the SATA HD
- ad8 => the other SATA HD

what is this ? I think is the RAID controller because is of logic, but,
must I create filesystems on the ad12, ad8? or only on ar8? or on all?.

thanks in advance

sincerely

Juan Coruņa
Desarrollo de Software Atlantico