Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 1996 15:00:22 -0800
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        "Mike Pritchard" <mpp@mpp.minn.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: my machine seems slow

>For the past week or so, my machine running -current has just
>seemed "slow".  I suspect it is due to disk I/O speeds, but
>I'm not sure.  Has anyone else been seeing problems?  Config info:
>
>Adaptec 2842VL SCSI controller (tagged queuing disabled)
>Seagate ST31230N Hawk SCSI-2 disk drive
>
>iozone reports 800K/sec for writes, and 1.7MB/sec for reads,
>which both seem way too low.  I thought I used to get something
>like 2.5 - 3MB+/sec or so for those numbers before.

That is really slow.  I'll check my machine at home tonight, but
I usually get 4.5-4.7MB/s to my Empire 2100 for writes from
my 2842.   I would expect the Hawk to do at least 3-4MB/s.

>I'll go try re-enabling tagged queuing and see if that helps,
>although I've been having problems with that corrupting disks.

Perhaps some component in your system is dying?  A VL video
card perhaps?  Do you see any difference in performacne when
you're not running X?

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations