Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 1996 22:37:26 +1100 (EST)
From:      Administrator <root@flopsy.hobart.tased.edu.au>
To:        JOHN <JSINNOTT@POMONA.EDU>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What does this network error message mean???

On Thu, 18 Jan 1996, JOHN wrote:

> Jan 18 21:09:14 jsinnott /kernel arp info overwritten for 134.173.66.250
> by 00:1d:10:7b:f7
> Jan 18 21:09:45 jsinnott /kernel arp info overwritten for 134.173.66.250
> by aa:00:04:00:bb:06

Whenever we have got such an error it means that two hosts have the same
IP address...when the UNIX needs to contact one host it broadcasts an arp
packet and then records the ethernet hardware address it gets in reply
with the IP address in the routing table I believe. If at a later date it
gets a different hardware address for the same IP it overwrites this info.

> The IP address given is for the gateway that serves the network I am on.
> Any ideas??

Have you replaced the network interface of your router? Does your router
somehow have two interfaces on your network, both answering to the same
IP?

The most likely cause I can think of is someone has given their computer
the same IP as the router. It will be the machine with the ethernet
hardware address of aa:00:04:00:bb:06 or 00:1d:10:7b:f7 if you have a
table that identifies machines by hardware addresses (the other address
will be the router).

Andrew