Date:      Tue, 18 May 1999 08:22:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      Steven Ames <steve@virtual-voodoo.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   ed driver probe changes?

Last night I switched from 3.1-STABLE to 4.0-CURRENT. Everything
went great except for one spot.

I have two ethernet cards in this machine. Both use the 'ed'
driver. One is PCI the other is ISA.

In the 3.1 machine I had a line in the config that said:

device ed0 at isa? port 0x280 net irq 10 iomem 0xd8000

So the 'isa' card would come up. The PCI card was always
detected first and given ed1 (since ed0 was bound to ISA).

Under the 4.0 kernel the PCI card is given ed0 and a message
is displayed saying ed0 already in use giving next number.
The isa card is _NEVER_ probed. I don't even get a message
saying it was probed and not found.

Is there any probe debugging I can turn on to get more verbose
output? Does anyone have a solution for the above?

I've tried disabling the pnp controller in the kernel and it
has zero effect on anything. The same thing occurs (ie the PCI
card gets assigned ed0 and the ISA card is never found).

						-Steve