Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2000 23:22:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@nwlink.com>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>, cjclark@alum.mit.edu, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Language for Modeling Mechanical System

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:

> But I don't think fortran is any help at all for symbolic
> manipulation, which I thought was your original requirement.  It's
> certainly used a lot for numbercrunching.

I guess it depends on how I want my code to work. It would be nice to
layout a couple of underlying diff eqs and then solve or integrate those
expressions as needed.

On the other hand, I can just manually write out all of the functions I
need without using some higher level library. The first method seems
slicker. The latter method might be more likely to get done.

For any of you following this thread, I did find ccmath which is a math
library in C which claims to do some of the things I need. I may make a
port (if it builds cleanly) it just for the heck of it.

Thanks to all for your help. Its a big, big internet out there. Your help
has narrowed it down some.

Thank you,
Jason C. Wells