Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 1999 10:06:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        brad@baileylink.net
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: tandberg ns8 with on-board adaptec AIC-7890

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 brad@baileylink.net wrote:

> Probably not.  If I read correctly you use one SCSI bus.  Every SCSI bus
> should have 2 terminators, one on each end.  I believe that the motherboard
> controller will terminate one end automatically.  It is advisable to either

Usually it's an option to set in the BIOS.

> terminate the last device and place it at the end of the cable or to use and
> external (preferably active) terminator.
>
> On a side note, I have heard that one would only need one terminator for
> busses with cable length of less than 18 inches, personally I always use
> two.

(stubs) Nope. About 2 inches, but not at ultra speeds.

> > BMG
>
> p.s. Please go easy on me if this is not exactly correct, SCSI busses have
> changed a lot over the years.

Not really. They're pretty much the same as they've been all along. Some
extra lines and some higher speeds, but the basics have been the same.
What *has* changed is the ability of cable manufactures to get clean
enough cables to make things like SYNC mode (at 5Mhz through 40Mhz) work
pretty reliably.