Date:      Tue, 3 Mar 2009 15:32:13 -0500
From:      David Karapetyan <dkarapet@nd.edu>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Server encryption

Yes, having to enter the password in after reboot is a bit of a pain.
That is not all; the encrypted drive must be fsck'd as well, which is a
bit annoying. At present, I encrypt secure documents on my laptop, and
leave my server unencrypted; thanks to your input, I will continue to do
so. Thank you.

On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 03:18:57PM -0500, Bill Moran wrote:

> > Hello, I was wondering if it was a worthwhile endeavor to encrypt a
> > backup hard drive on a server that I currently have in my office at
> > school (I am a graduate student). I do have sensitive data on it
> > (backups of my mail, as well as an msmtprc file that contains the
> > password to a gmail account of mine). I am not particularly worried
> > about theft of my server, but you never know. Am I simply being
> > paranoid, or is there a considerable risk when one does not encrypt?
>
> If you don't encrypt the data and the server is stolen, the thief
> has your data if he wants it.
>
> If you do encrypt it, the thief has to go to considerable length to
> steal the system without powering it down, and even then it's difficult
> to get the actual data.
>
> Most thieves don't care about your data.  The value of the hardware is
> enough, and they'll probably reformat the HDD with a bootleg Windows
> Vista install anyway.
>
> You have to decide for yourself whether you feel the risk justifies
> the effort.  Keep in mind that if you encrypt the drive, you'll have
> to enter the password any time the system is rebooted (such as after
> a power outage).
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> --
> Bill Moran