Date:      Wed, 2 Jun 1999 10:20:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Sander <jim@federation.addy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Shell Account system

> The worst thing in the world you can ever do is allow users to compile/run
> their own binaries. If a user wants something installed, then I'll damn
> well compile it and install it for *all* to use.

   Um, I'd have to disagree there.

   Assuming you're talking about non-root level users of course. The big
problem is of course scaling. If you have 10 users, it's easy. When you
have 1000, spread out over a dozen servers it becomes challenging to
administer. Everyone wants something different, and it's usually
incompatible with what someone else wants. It takes time and effort that
could be better spent securing your system in other ways. Then try
upgrading anything and you'll be screwed even worse!

   If they're compiling as a "normal" user, they should/are restricted
from potentially dangerous operations. Nothing is perfect, but if you're
that paranoid you should not have any users on the system at all. Plus,
there's almost nothing you can do with a compiler that can't also be done
with Perl anyway. (surely you let users have Perl!)

   The name of the game of course is to be better, faster, and more
attentive to detail than anyone on your systems who would seek to do
something they shouldn't. You can't do that if you're installing strange
things for one user or doing updates every time a bug in <x> is found.

   Just my opinion of course...

-=Jim=-