Date:      Wed, 4 Jun 2003 10:11:13 +0200
From:      Mark Pearce <mark@netchat.co.za>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Tape backup using a OnStream SC-30

Hi

I am having trouble trying to backup data using an OnStream ADR drive.
I have read the dump, sa, sr, tar man pages and have googled as well,
but am still having no joy.

I have the following results:

dmesg:
sa0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 4 lun 0
sa0: <OnStream SC-30 1.05> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-2 device
sa0: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 7)

camcontrol devlist -v:
scbus0 on ahc0 bus 0:
<OnStream SC-30 1.05>              at scbus0 target 4 lun 0 (pass0,sa0)
<  >                               at scbus0 target -1 lun -1 ()
scbus-1 on xpt0 bus 0:
<  >                               at scbus-1 target -1 lun -1 (xpt0)

[09:38 AM root@server dev]# /sbin/dump -0uan -f - /data1 | gzip -2 |dd
of=/dev/sa0         DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Wed Jun  4 09:44:07
2003  DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
  DUMP: Dumping /dev/ad0s1h (/data1) to standard output
  DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
dd: /dev/sa0: Invalid argument

[09:56 AM root@server dev]# tar c /data1
tar: /dev/sa0: Cannot open: Invalid argument

I am at my wits end, I seriously need to get this backup working.  I
have found some reports that the SCSI adaptor, using the aha78xx driver
coupled with this OnStream drive might be incompatable.

Either that or I am doing something wrong, please help.

Mark