Date:      Thu, 26 Mar 2009 14:47:27 +0000
From:      Barnaby Scott <bds@waywood.co.uk>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Wine without X

I'm sorry if I'm asking in the wrong place, but I have tried elsewhere
and go no response.

I want to install wine, but without X on the system. Obviously trying to
do this from ports drags in loads of X-related stuff. There doesn't seem
to be a WITHOUT_X11 knob available for the wine port (presuambly because
hardly anyone would want it).

I guess that leaves me installing it the 'old-fashioned' way, but
unfortunately my inexperience leaves me floundering here! Because
FreeBSD has such a wonderful ports system, all documentation I can find
for installing from source refers to ports, and I have not found a
single one showing a layman how to install from source manually, and
what problems I have to look out for.

As you can probably tell, I lack a lot experience, so keep it fairly
monosyllabic please!

(In case you wonder what on earth I want this for, it is to run a
'render slave' which is Windows only, and simply runs in the background
- it would not even count as a 'console application'. I have three very
underused FreeBSD servers and they could do with some rendering work to
keep them from getting bored, but I don't want X cluttering them up.)

Any help gratefully received

Thanks

Barnaby Scott