Date:      Thu, 4 Feb 1999 09:59:51 +0000
From:      nclayton@lehman.com
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        Jesus Rodriguez <jesusr@FreeBSD.ORG>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PDF DocBook Handbook

Hi Greg,

I'm not at a FreeBSD machine at the moment, and won't be until the 15th,
which makes this a little more complicated :-(

On Tue, Feb 02, 1999 at 10:05:00AM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Sunday, 31 January 1999 at 23:10:06 +0000, Nik Clayton wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 31, 1999 at 09:35:50PM +0100, Jesus Rodriguez wrote:
> >> Compiling the pdf version (# $Id: Makefile,v 1.11 1999/01/27 23:39:47
> >> nik Exp $) of docbook handbook i get:
> >
> > Try running /usr/local/bin/mktexlsr, which update's one of TeX's databases.
> > The latest version of the JadeTeX port does that for you. You should have
> > version 1.2 of ports/print/jadetex/Makefile.
>
> I still haven't been able to install jadetex.  The Makefile appears to
> be missing a package dependency: I get:

OK. First off, Jesus mailed me back to say that running mktexlsr solved his
problem, so I don't think that's what you're seeing.

What version of TeX have you installed from ports? I've got a nagging
feeling that an earlier message I sent out said use print/teTeX, and I
should have said print/teTeX-beta, which

  a) includes more of the optional packages

  b) is configurable without recompiling

I think this might be your problem.

> tex -ini "&latex" jadetex.ini
> This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2c 7.1) (INITEX)
> (jadetex.ini
> LaTeX2e <1997/12/01> patch level 1
> (jadetex.ltx (/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/minimal.cls
> Document Class: minimal 1996/05/20 Standard LaTeX minimal class
> )
>
> ! LaTeX Error: File `amssymb.sty' not found.

That should definitely be installed. According the PLIST file, you should
have it in ${PREFIX}/share/texmf/tex/latex/amsfonts/. If it's not there,
something's gone wrong with your installation.

The other files you're missing are also listed in the PLIST.

Do you have any TeX related environment variables set? $TEXMF or others?
That might be the cause of the problem -- I don't have any set in my
environment.

I'm starting to run out of ideas, because I don't know a great deal about
TeX. It might be worthwhile getting in touch with Eivind, who does (I
believe).

Do you have a test machine you could install this on? Or perhaps you
could reinstall TeX and JadeTeX with ${PREFIX} pointing somewhere else,
and then edit doc/en/handbook/Makefile to explicitly call this new
installation instead?

Sorry I can't be more specific.

--+==[ Systems Administrator, Year 2000 Test Lab, Lehman Brothers, Inc. ]==+--
--+==[      1 Broadgate, London, EC2M 7HA     0171-601-0011 x5514       ]==+--