Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 1995 15:26:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        lm@slovax.engr.sgi.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org, waa@aurora.cis.upenn.edu, deraadt@theos.com, chuck@maria.wustl.edu
Subject:   Re: larry: you might want to add this to lmbench (but i'm not sure)

> I'd actually hope that programs that got this kind of error would be
> murdered by the OS.  Code that didn't check its return values in
> the face of such an error shouldn't be allowed to continue running.
We tried this program on windows/nt and it got killed. But for an
interesting reason: the posix subsystem on nt is a library, not the
kernel server that the books lead you to believe it is. So the posix
library does a load from the bogus pointer and dies.

But here's the $9K question: how do you decide it's not checking return
values, and what return values should you require be checked and which
shouldn't? i'm not convinced that's a decision the os should make.

 ron