Date:      Wed, 04 Jun 1997 08:29:12 -0700
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@bloke.statsci.com>
To:        joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu
Cc:        giles@nemeton.com.au, dgy@rtd.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: uucp uid's

Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu> wrote:

> I agree.  For a lot of tasks, uucp is considerably nicer than trying
> to deal with all sorts of PPP and POP and other protocols,

I'm curious...is there an easy way to have a sendmail daemon not bother to try
delivery on certain items in its queue? I have things setup at work to
UUCP-queue email destined for my home system, and part of the reason for that
is to avoid having the emails stuck in the queue when my home system was
offline and the sendmail queue run hanging while waiting for a network
timeout.  Come to think of it...how would a home system collect email out of an
SMTP daemon anyways?

For an intermittent connection that's initiated from one direction only (i.e.
my home system initiates the connection to work), it seems like SMTP is
backwards for mail going from work to home.  SMTP seems to be really meant for
continuous network connections (or nearly so).

Besides...we didn't have dialup PPP access on these modems until recently. I
used to call directly to the UUCP system until it died. Then I put the GNU/
Taylor UUCP on a different system, use 'SLiRP' on the modem serving system(s)
to give me my "pseudo-PPP" connection (aka a real PPP connection with NAT
:-)), "user PPP" on my home FreeBSD system to auto-dial as needed and use UUCP
over TCP to gather send email (and queued file transfers) traffic to/from
home.  I have to say that it seems to work quite well.

IS there any standard software that I could use in place of UUCP to allow easy
file transfer and email requests to be queued and processed at connect time? I
suppose one could funnel everything through a POP mailbox drop, then write
some custom delivery scripts on my home system, but that seems like more work
and more error prone to me.

Scott Blachowicz  Ph: 206/283-8802x240   Mathsoft (Data Analysis Products Div)
                                         1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                        Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org