Date:      Mon, 02 Feb 2009 10:44:34 -0500
From:      Pete Carah <pete@altadena.net>
To:        cpghost <cpghost@cordula.ws>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Soekris 4801 hangs (was Re: Hangs, maybe a clue)

cpghost wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 01, 2009 at 07:56:48PM -0500, Pete Carah wrote:
>
>> I fixed the problem on my 4801's by having noticed a correlation with
>> psm and hangs on my laptop, and
>> thought there may be a LOR or such involving the keyboard driver and/or
>> kbdmux.  Since a 4801 has no need
>> of those drivers, but *does* contain the hardware they control, just
>> with no external peripherals connected, I tried
>> configuring the Soekris kernel with all vestiges of atkbdc, psm, kbdmux,
>> sc, and such removed.  This did appear to fix the hangs.
>>

> Hmmm... not for me. This is my kernel config for the hanging net4801s.
> It is being in use for a couple of years now and I didn't change it
> before the trouble began early December:
>
> ---------------------- cut here --------------------------------------------
> # SOEKRIS kernel config file, based upon FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE 2006-01-03.
>
> #cpu		I486_CPU
> cpu		I586_CPU
> ident		SOEKRIS
>
> options         CPU_SOEKRIS             #Enable Soekris hardware stuff.
> options         CPU_GEODE               #GEODE GL1100 Chips (Soekris)
> #device         pf                      #DON'T Enable PF (use as a module!)
>
> makeoptions	DEBUG=-g		# Build kernel with gdb(1) debug symbols
>
> options 	SCHED_4BSD		# 4BSD scheduler
> options 	PREEMPTION		# Enable kernel thread preemption
> options 	INET			# InterNETworking
> options 	INET6			# IPv6 communications protocols
> options		SCTP			# Stream Control Transmission Protocol
> options 	FFS			# Berkeley Fast Filesystem
> options 	SOFTUPDATES		# Enable FFS soft updates support
> options 	UFS_ACL			# Support for access control lists
> options 	UFS_DIRHASH		# Improve performance on big directories
> options		UFS_GJOURNAL		# Enable gjournal-based UFS journaling
> options 	MD_ROOT			# MD is a potential root device
> options 	NFSCLIENT		# Network Filesystem Client
> options 	NFSSERVER		# Network Filesystem Server
> options 	NFS_ROOT		# NFS usable as /, requires NFSCLIENT
> options 	PROCFS			# Process filesystem (requires PSEUDOFS)
> options 	PSEUDOFS		# Pseudo-filesystem framework
> options 	GEOM_PART_GPT		# GUID Partition Tables.
> options		GEOM_LABEL		# Provides labelization
> options 	COMPAT_43TTY		# BSD 4.3 TTY compat [KEEP THIS!]
> options 	COMPAT_FREEBSD6		# Compatible with FreeBSD6
> options 	SCSI_DELAY=1000		# Delay (in ms) before probing SCSI
> options 	KTRACE			# ktrace(1) support
> options 	SYSVSHM			# SYSV-style shared memory
> options 	SYSVMSG			# SYSV-style message queues
> options 	SYSVSEM			# SYSV-style semaphores
> options 	_KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING # POSIX P1003_1B real-time extensions
> options 	KBD_INSTALL_CDEV	# install a CDEV entry in /dev
> options 	ADAPTIVE_GIANT		# Giant mutex is adaptive.
> options		STOP_NMI		# Stop CPUS using NMI instead of IPI
> options		AUDIT			# Security event auditing
>
> # options         SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
> # device          apic	                  # I/O APIC

> [...]
Every 2-3 days matches mine mostly.  My daughter was getting tired of
rebooting it.

I backed the source for that server and my laptop to RELENG_7 as of
20081201000000.  This fixed the laptop, but I haven't recompiled the
soekris since reverting.  At least most of the problem appeared in
either late Nov or early Dec. with what matters for my laptop after Dec
1.  So both soekris are running on releng_7 as of just after the release.

You *do* have agp... (and eisa; I don't remember if I removed that or
not.  I didn't)
Mine also has apic but not SMP.  (there are lots of apic's in ich
chipsets that help route pci interrupts without being SMP.)  I have
CPU_SOEKRIS and CPU_GEODE also.  I did leave uhid in mine to handle the UPS.

ukbd appears to count.  Maybe ums.
Mine is running on a cf with nfs for updates.  (I do compiles on the
co-located file server).

I have ALTQ and netgraph compiled in, with most ALTQ options but
netgraph options commented (since it will load modules as needed).
(ALTQ is needed since this is a nat firewall with voip behind it.)

-- Pete