Date:      Sat, 21 Jul 2007 17:19:51 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
Cc:        "\[LoN\]Kamikaze" <LoN_Kamikaze@gmx.de>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, baldur@foo.is
Subject:   Re: removing external usb hdd without unmounting causes reboot?

Norberto Meijome schrieb:
> On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 17:38:14 +0200
> "[LoN]Kamikaze" <LoN_Kamikaze@gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> As I mentioned earlier I remember it working during the 5.3 era on Stable, at
>> some point it worked. I even remember removing my CD-Rom drive from my Thinkpad
>> without running atacontrol detach. The system just took it and the drive just
>> continued working after I put it back in.
>
> on 6.2-STABLE (of a few days ago), i have this happening a couple of times with no adverse effect at all.
> Burn DVD/Cd, when finished, hald detects the disk, mounts it, /dev/cd0 in /media/whatever.
>
> i can eject the disk just fine (which in itself is weird, i think).... the device is still there...
> umount /dev/cd0
>
> works fine and off it goes. other than that, no, i havent tried to access the device in question

In that case the device has been mounted R/O before, and if
you don't remove it in the middle of a transaction, there
is nothing the kernel might want to do with the physical
device to unmount it (and even within a transfer, this ought
to be caught by the driver). For that reason I had suggested
to have a soft-R/O mode for removable devices, which together
with a very short flush delay might allow such a device to
be mounted R/O "nearly all the time" (tm) ;-) This is not
a perfect solution, but it is similar to the way USB sticks
are used with Windows/XP: Wait a second or two and remove it.
While not perfect this covers the case of MP3 players or
digicams that are mounted as USB storage devices, and many
other cases. To make this a perfect solution is much harder,
but even a simple implementation would be a big step forward.

Regards, STefan