Date:      Wed, 23 Dec 1998 09:50:07 -0800
From:      "Bart (The Good Guy) Trzynadlowski" <trzy@powernet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SPEED of Text OS

Hello,
	I've tried both Linux (Redhat 5.1) and PicoBSD but there has always been
something that really nags me about the text OS and typing in general (even
sometimes in X)... Why does the typing rate seem sluggish in the text os?
The repeat rate for the keyboard is slow and overall typing is a tad bit
muckier than in say... DOS...
	If any of you have access to DOS try it out and then take a look at
FreeBSD's or Linux's speed... I dont know wether it is me or my hardware...
But it seems a bit slower.

	My machine specs are as follows:

CPU:	Pentium 166MHz w/out MMX
RAM:	80 Megabytes of EDO RAM (im not sure of the nanoseconds... but it isnt
very speedy....)
HDD:	1.6 gig and 4.0 gig
VIDEO:	S3 Trio64v+ 1mb RAM - based video card

	X Windows was sluggish in Linux (definitely my video card's fault) so I am
going to install a Voodoo Rush card. (probably)

Thanks,

Bart "The Good Guy" Trzynadlowski
"Screwy ain't it?"