Date:      Sat, 21 Aug 1999 00:46:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        fullermd@futuresouth.com, steve@cioe.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Async NFS exports?

:    The problem that occurs on the FreeBSD server is simply that the
:    nfsrv_commit() procedure calls fsync() on the file... on the *ENTIRE*
:    file, for every commit rpc, rather then syncing just the offset/range
:    requested.  I am looking into ways to fix this.
:

    Ok, I've verified the problem.  The nfsrv_commit() code running on the
    server is definitely the culprit.  I was able to make a tentitive patch
    which increased NFSv3 write performance to 10 MBytes/sec -- the maximum
    my 100BaseTX network can do.

    CURRENT in tree:					2.5 MBytes/sec
    CURRENT w/ asynchronized commit rpc:		4.5 MBytes/sec
    CURRENT w/ asy commit and fixed nfsrv_commit:	10 MBytes/sec (1)

	note(1): network is maxed out.

    Running bonnie returned around 5.2 MBytes/sec using putc, 3.5 MBytes/sec
    doing rewrite (but also 3.5 MBytes/sec going the other way), and
    10 MBytes/sec writing intelligently.  Throughout the test the low
    level disk I/O on the server was able to do sustained clustering
    at 64KB/t.

    I have a backlog of patches so it may be a week or more before this one
    gets tested and committed into CURRENT.  It's a little racey for putting
    into STABLE but maybe after a month of testing on CURRENT we will be
    able to do it.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>