Date:      Mon, 22 May 2000 16:18:06 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Andy Sparrow <andy@geek4food.org>
Cc:        stable@freeBSD.ORG, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: Weird rodent behaviour

>A recent thread on -STABLE prompted me to type up the following
>description of oddities I've been noticing with my mouse under 4.0-STABLE:
>
>I've been using a Logitech Marble FX for 18 months now - it used to be directl
>plugged into my "main" machine. It wasn't correctly recognised by the psm driv
>er
>(which used to report a MouseMan+, IIRC), but it worked well enough - modulo

It IS detected correctly :-)  As far as the mouse firmware is
concerned, Logitech Marble FX uses the PS/2++ protocol which is the
Logitech's proprietary protocol since MouseMan+/FirstMouse+.  Marble
FX and MouseMan+ are software compatible and the mouse driver does not
need to distinguish the two.

>some odd behaviour when scrolling down the 'VT Options' menu in Xterm using
>Ctrl-"Real Middle Button" (looked like it was seeing lots of spurious
>"button-up/button-down" events, but I never really worried about it too much).
>
>However, the "middle" button (this guy has 4 buttons) worked fine for 'paste'
>operations in both syscons and X (3.3.6, mouse is sysmouse) until I recently
>supped -STABLE (4.0-STABLE FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE #0: Wed Apr 26 14:33:22 PDT 2000
>),
>at which point I noticed that I now have to "chord" the 1st and 3rd buttons to
>
>get the "middle" button (this is an SMP kernel, just in case that has any
>relevance).

This is strange.

I would like to see your mouse settings in /etc/rc.conf and XF86Config.
I also would like you to give "boot -v" at the boot loader prompt and
send me /var/run/dmesg.boot after the system is started. (Do not use
a KVM when you do this please.)

>The mouse is now /much/ less responsive than it used to be - press events are
>often missed, rubber-banding is prone to weird behaviour, it just generally fe
>els
>much less "snappy" than it used to - just moving windows around feels "laggy".

If you add "-3" option for moused (in moused_flags in /etc/rc.conf),
you may need to tweak the 3-button emulation timeout in the "-E" option
as well.  But, as Marble FX does have the middle button, you shouldn't
need to use the "-3" option in the first place.  Are you absolutely sure
that the middle button suddenly became inoperable?

>Even more recently (last w/e), I added a Linksys 4 port KVM switch, and took
>the M$ mouse off another machine and plugged it into the KVM.
>
>I now notice that:
>
>* The KVM switch seems to prevent the mouse being detected correctly, psm "see
>s"
>  only a generic PS/2 mouse on both machines - dmesg says:
>
>   psm0: failed to get data.
>   psm0 irq 12 on isa
>   psm0: model Generic PS/2 mouse, device ID 0

I don't know which M$ mouse model you are using.  But, if it is a
2-button model, without a wheel, the above message is correct.  The
2-button MS mouse is very "generic" :-)

The psm driver cannot distinguish every single mouse model on the
market.  There are too many of them.  It only detects and
distinguishes as many models and protocols as it needs to know to
operate the mouse correctly.

If this MS mouse is IntelliMouse (it has a wheel), then your KVM is
not compatible with IntelliMouse and the psm driver cannot do anything
about it ;-<

Kazu