Date:      Tue, 23 Sep 2003 03:35:08 +0200
From:      Simon Barner <barner@in.tum.de>
To:        Alden Louis-Pierre <alden.pierre@verizon.net>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: After make install clean gnome is not starting.

--eheScQNz3K90DVRs

> I'm presented with the generic window of xfree.  I checked in my cd ~=20
> directory and I noticed I have no .gnome files.

Those will be generated the first time you start gnome.

>  Would someone be kind=20
> enough to point me to the right direction/document.  I'm currently using=
=20
> www.freebsd.org/gnome as my source of reference.

You might also want to check out http://www.gnome.org/start/2.4/

Regarding your question, you have two options:

1.)	Use a graphical login manager such as `gdm' (comes with Gnome). To
	launch `gdm' at the system startup, do the following:

	cd /usr/local/etc/rc.d
	cp gdm.sh.sample gdm.sh
	chmod a+x gdm.sh
=09
	You can launch `gdm' now from the console (as root simply type
	`gdm').
=09
2.)	Put the following to your ~/.xinitrc (don't remember whether this
	file has to be executable or not, since I am using 1.)

	exec /usr/X11R6/bin/gnome-session

	Now `startx' should launch Gnome.
=09
Regards,