Date:      Thu, 08 Sep 2011 03:28:31 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>, perryh@pluto.rain.com, utisoft@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: sysutils/cfs

Hi,
Reference:

Doug Barton wrote:
> On 9/7/2011 10:02 AM, perryh@pluto.rain.com wrote:
> > Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org> wrote:

> >> As has repeatedly been explained to you ...
> >
> > I think you may have gotten me confused with someone else.
>
> Quite possibly. :)  Saying the same things over and over again gets
> mentally exhausting after a while.
>
> >> you're asking the wrong question. The question is, how does it
> >> benefit the users to leave it in when we know that we're going
> >> to delete it?  Either way the user will discover that the port
> >> is not easily available for installation when they update their
> >> ports tree.
> >
> > Reread the first paragraph.  Provided the port is still in the
> > tree, when they try to build it the ports mechanism reports the
> > FORBIDDEN/BROKEN/whatever which describes the problem, and the
> > expiration date a month or two out.  (If the expiration date is
> > not included in the report, it should be.)  They then know that
> > they need to fix the port, or find someone to fix it, and they
> > know _why_ it needs to be fixed.  In contrast, if the port is
> > _no longer_ in the tree, they have no clue why it disappeared.
>
> As was pointed out elsewhere in the thread, the MOVED entry should
> contain that information. Generally what I do when I actually remove a
> port is to copy the DEPRECATED/FORBIDDEN message into the MOVED file entry.
>
> However, even if that isn't sufficient the entire story is still
> available in the CVS history. And the user can always ask on
> freebsd-ports@ if they are really confused and need help.
>
> >> The difference is that in the meantime people doing work on
> >> the ports tree don't have to work around the old port (that's
> >> going to be removed anyway).
> >
> > It's only going to be removed if no one fixes it.
>
> .. which is what happens in the vast majority of cases.
>
> > The whole
> > point is that "release users" don't continuously monitor their
> > ports -- they only upgrade when they become aware that they
> > need to (e.g. when a newer release becomes available).
>
> And what we have been trying to explain to you is that this has never
> been a supported mode of operation. We don't tie the ports tree to
> specific releases,

[ I've been reading & not writing , as real life priorities intrude,
but that phrase has been repeated too often to ignore ...]

FreeBSD doese "tie the ports tree to specific releases".  We have ports
freezes before each release, it gets tagged & goes on cdrom images,
packages get rolled. (Yes,  Not quite the same as src/  )

 cvs -Q -R export -r RELENG_8_2_0_RELEASE src   # du=548 M tgz=115 M
 cvs -Q -R export -r RELEASE_8_2_0  ports       # du=475 M tgz= 49 M
 cvs -Q -R export -r RELEASE_8_2_0  doc         # du=100 M tgz= 27 M

> that's one of the reasons for the operational
> separation of ports and src.
>
> That said, users are of course welcome to operate in the manner you
> describe. They just shouldn't be surprised if they run into problems
> doing it that way.
>
> >> The point has repeatedly been made that with almost 23,000
> >> ports in the tree both innovation and maintenance become
> >> significantly more difficult. Keeping that burden as low
> >> as possible is a feature.
> >
> > s/point/claim/
>
> Point being made by people actually doing the work. Those who don't like
> that answer attempting to refute it as a claim. :)
>
> > Last I checked, freebsd.org was claiming that the very large number
> > of supported ports was a feature.  It seems that some of the ports
> > committers disagree.
>
> Non sequitur. The large number of ports that we support IS a feature.
> However, it's also a pretty big maintenance burden. Especially when you
> consider the number of those ports that are either actually or
> effectively unmaintained. Maintaining a high level of actual support for
> the ports tree is the goal here. In the near term future we're also
> hoping to provide some new, better tools; as well as better/more
> consistent package support. In order to do those things we need to make
> sure that we're putting our effort where it is most needed.
>
> > Benefit:  see above.  Maintenance:  I would not think that updating
> > NEXT_PORT_PURGE_DATE as required -- a couple of times per release
> > cycle, maybe a few more if the schedule slips repeatedly -- would
> > constitute a significant additional maintenance burden.
>
> To put it bluntly, you don't see it because you're not the one doing the
> work.

> Doug

Too much so called Work has been irresponsible damaging Play.
Ports butchers should stop, or be stopped.

Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below, not above;  Indent with "> ";  Cumulative like a play script.