Date:      Fri, 22 Jul 2005 17:09:10 +1000
From:      "Scott, Brian" <Brian.Scott@det.nsw.edu.au>
To:        "Eli K. Breen" <bsd@unixforge.net>, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Machine Replication

For what its worth I use Norton Ghost to regularly set up a classroom of
machines with FreeBSD 5.3, mostly because other teachers put Windoze
stuff on the same boxes so the Ghost setup makes sense.

Ghost doesn't understand UFS but doesn't need to. It just takes a block
by block copy of the whole partition. To keep the images a reasonable
size I do a
dd if=3D/dev/zero bs=3D1m of=3D/junk; rm /junk
(repeat for every file system) before imaging and tell ghost to do high
compression. Compressing lots of zeros is really efficient so the images
come out a reasonable size. Using multicasting I can dump the image in
parallel onto 15 machines and have the system installed in under 10
minutes. IP configuration is done with DHCP so thats all
straightforward. I use a small dhcp client hook script to change the
system name based on IP so I even get unique system names

The fact that the hardware on all of the target machines is the same is
obviously a huge benefit because I can use a single X configuration, but
FreeBSD travels to new hardware a lot better than any of the other O/Ss
do. The only real issue is that I have some variety of hard disk types
but providing the original partition isn't bigger than my smallest
target drive, Ghost looks after everything properly.

I haven't found a decent freeware alternative that I could get the same
results from but hope to some day.